Food Blog Forum Conference!

This weekend I had the privilege of attending my first ever blogging conference and I have to say, it was most definitely worth the trip.  Jaden Hair of Steamy Kitchen is the co-creator of Food Blog Forum along with Diane Cu and Todd Porter of White on Rice Couple.  With the help of Gwen Pratesi of Bunky Cooks they put together a day long conference chocked full of more knowledge, networking, and amazing food than I could have ever imagined.

The experience started with a Friday night party at the Viking Store in Atlanta.  I was blown away by the amazing spread and set up Viking had put together for us.  The food was incredible.  We ate everything from homemade pasta (here she is making it as we grab a plate; now that is what I call fresh!)….

To healthy 34 calorie turkey dumplings (these were absolutely incredible!) that she let the conference goers put together and cook up….

To a dessert spread that was impossible to resist (the basil whipped cream was to die for!).

The highlight of the evening was Chef Kevin Rathbun’s cooking presentation.  You can read more on Kevin’s background through Gwen’s interview with him, but let’s just say he’s known for beating Bobby Flay on the Iron Chef!

Now THAT’s a chef who knows his food.  And know it he did.  He made us some of the best pork belly I’ve ever put my mouth to.  We had a spicy homecured bacon bite with watermelon and a pork belly taco that was to.die.for.

The next day was the conference over at The Shed in Glenwood.  I didn’t get a ton of pictures here because I was too busy learning everything they were sharing with us!  I did snap a quick picture looking back before it started though.  Notice the amazing swag sitting on the chairs.  I couldn’t believe all the incredible goodies they shared with us!

Lunch at the shed was three different types of sliders, pasta salad, and deviled eggs.  Everything was delicious, but take note of that little beauty on the left there.  That, my friends, is the fried tomato and goat cheese slider and it was clearly the best thing on the lunch plate.  Yum, yum and yum.

We finished up the conference with an after party at the Spice Market in midtown Atlanta.  Let me just say, they provided us with some of the best food I have ever put my mouth on.  We had everything from Passion Fruit Whiskey Fizzes to black pepper shrimp with sundried pineapple to charred chili rubbed beef skewers with thai basil dipping sauce.

Once of the best parts of attending a conference like this are the incredible people you meet.  Everyone was so friendly and gracious.  I just wanted to throw a shout out to a few of the awesome bloggers that I had the opportunity to really get to know better; three of them as we were driving through a torrential downpour with a fritzy GPS!  Memories for sure!

Megan at What Megan’s Making
Wendy at The Local Cook
Prernah at Indian Simmer
Melissa at My McDonald Meal

I also want to extend a huge thank you to Jaden, Diane, Todd, and Gwen for putting this conference together.  And, as a food blogger, if you ever have the opportunity to attend a food blog forum conference, do it!  I promise you won’t regret it!

Pin It!

34 Responses to “Food Blog Forum Conference!”

1. 1

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — September 13, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I’m so glad you loved it, and so sorry I couldn’t be there! It looks like it was well worth the drive!

2. 2

JodieMo — September 13, 2010 @ 7:27 am

What a great post! The conference was so awesome. I’m still trying to make sure it all says in my brain I got so much information! It was great to meet you and I hope we can stay in touch and meet up at the next one!

3. 3

5 Star Foodie — September 13, 2010 @ 9:16 am

Sounds like a terrific experience!

4. 4

OK CHICK — September 13, 2010 @ 9:25 am

What a fun weekend! I bet you had a great time. It looks like a fun weekend.

So, have I ever told you my love for Viking? Well, I have one. When I am rich and famous my whole kitchen will be Viking- stove, fridge, blender, ect. EVERYTHING! I’ll let you know when that happens, we can have a cooking party.

5. 5

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 13, 2010 @ 9:44 am

Great meeting you Julie! Best of luck and keep in touch!

6. 6

Cindy — September 13, 2010 @ 9:47 am

Sounds like you will have to do an extra round of yoga after all that delicious food! Glad you had a great time. My question for you is this: Just how many times have you eaten pork belly? Just sayin’! :)

7. 7

Bunkycooks — September 13, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Hi Julie,

What a great recap! I was so glad to meet you and am happy that you were able to come to the event! I am also excited to see that so far, everyone seems to have been well-fed and swag happy! Keep in touch and I hope we get to meet again! :)

Gwen

8. 8

Wendy (The Local Cook) — September 13, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Thank you so much for driving! It was great meeting you, and I hope we’ll meet again.

9. 9

Emily Z — September 13, 2010 @ 10:32 am

What a cool experience that must have been. It would be cool to have something like that here in Kansas City. I would love the chance to meet more food bloggers in person. I feel so honored to be part of such a great community of people!

10. 10

Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds — September 13, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

Very cool & yummy!

11. 11

anne — September 13, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

looks like so much fun, what was in the goodie bags?? anne

12. 12

Maranda — September 13, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

You go to all the coolest stuff missy! It looks like you had a great time! I hope to get the chance to attend these types of events in the future. Thanks for the great recap and some awesome new blogs to follow!

13. 13

Katerina — September 13, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

From what it seems you had a great time in this conference and you got to see very interesting people.

14. 14

Kristina Churchill — September 13, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

How incredibly fun…food looked so good and I bet you picked up a few hints!
    Could you post about some food blog conferences prior to the event, for people like me who don’t know about them.

Glad you had a great time, and will be back to check out your blog very soon.

-kristina-

15. 15

Prerna@IndianSimmer — September 13, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I’m not going to forget that ride back to the hotel for a while I’m sure about that :-)
    What a great weekend we had and it was really awesome to know you Julie. So looking forward to meeting you again. Love to your boys, they are gorgeous!

16. 16

Blond Duck — September 13, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

I came over from the Ungourmet’s to see your Mexi tuna melts…oh my God. I love them. And I love your oven fish sticks! I’m a Texan and a totally Mexican snob just like you!

17. 17

Juliana — September 13, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Wow, what a fun event…it sure looks that you all got a lot out of this conference :-)

18. 18

Melissa @My McDonald Meal — September 13, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

I’ve loved reading everyone’s re-caps. Will get mine done soon!
    It was great meeting you and I can’t wait to catch again in a few weeks.

19. 19

FOODESSA — September 13, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Julie…I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when nutty foodies like ourselves get to enjoy such an event. I’m so glad you were given this chance to assist such a great forum ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

20. 20

Julie — September 13, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Julie, it was a great event, and while we did not get to “meet”, like you thought the best part was getting to know everyone else there. The next one should be one day longer to give us more time to meet everyone. Great pictures as well. And I can related to Saturday night downpour, I got soaked and I’m paying for it with a nasty little cold that I brought home with me.

• Monica replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Opps! that last comment should say Monica (me) and not Julie.. oppsy, can you tell the cold medicine has me ditzy?

21. 21

Anna Johnston — September 13, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

I’ve never been to a bloggers conference but I’d imagine it’d be amazing to rub shoulders with foodies & taste & talk & share….., not forgetting the eating bit. Thanks for sharing.

22. 22

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — September 13, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

How fun! I would love to sample all the foods… especially from someone who beat Bobby Flay! :)

23. 23

Biren @ Roti n Rice — September 13, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

Sounds like a great experience!

24. 24

malia — September 13, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

Hi Julie– What a cool experience. I’ve never been to a blog conference but I’d love to go to one. Those sliders look too delish. Please make them for your blog!

25. 25

MommyB Knows Best — September 14, 2010 @ 1:05 am

Fun fun fun!! I’m excited to go to my very first conference Type-A, I was just reading on Bakerella.com and saw your picture and realized we talk on twitter (with MommysTime etc)

Great site!

26. 26

Andrea (Off Her Cork) — September 14, 2010 @ 11:30 am

Julie it was really nice to meet and chat with you over dinner on Saturday evening! Great recap and I can’t believe I missed the dumpling session! I didn’t even know it was going on and now I’m bummed out. :)

27. 27

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective — September 14, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Looks like fun! You’ll have to let me all about when you come to Asheville!

28. 28

Blond Duck — September 14, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I hope my MOOM cooks like you!

29. 29

MarshaMarshaMarsha — September 15, 2010 @ 12:12 am

Oh my word, you are making me want to start a food blog just so I can go to a delicious conference like that! Wow. I’ve been to several blog conference and the food was so-so… I am clearly in the wrong segment of blogging! LOL

30. 30

Suzanne — September 15, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

I loved your pictures of the event beautiful. I wish we would have met while we were there but maybe next time. Your site looks so great glad I stopped by.

31. 31

ingrid — September 16, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

You’ve been a busy galavanting blogger! :) Lucky you!

Thanks for sharing, Julie!
    ~ingrid

32. 32

10 Tips From The Atlanta Food Blog Forum | Digital Aftershock — September 30, 2010 @ 9:19 am

[…] Mommie Cooks – Food Blog Forum Conference! […]

33. 33

Dorsey Mestad — December 3, 2012 @ 1:31 am

Hey! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!