I’m thrilled to be chatting it up about Birds Eye® Protein Blends today. I’m not sure if you’ve heard about these little gems yet but let me tell you, it’s high time you did. With super healthy ingredients such as lentils, beans, brown rice and veggies they’re a perfect addition to any meal or recipe. So far I’ve tried out the California Style and the Southwest Style. Both were hits with not only the hubby but also the kids!
With the California Style blend I simply whipped up a batch of quinoa in a little vegetable broth and stirred in the package along with a tablespoon or two of soy sauce. I took it to a play date, and guys, it was gone before the party ended. Even the kids were enjoying it! There’s something about edamame and broccoli that scores me veggie points with my kids every time. Check out the hidden lentils in there as well.
After the quinoa success, I thought I might take it up a notch and give the Southwest Style a go. Being that we live in Charlotte and the Carolina Panthers are having the football year of the century, I figured I better start preparing for a potential Super Bowl party in a couple months. Presumptuous? Perhaps. Inevitable? Absolutely. It’s happening you guys. I can feel it in the air over here.
I can’t think of a single better Super Bowl appetizer than 7 layer dip. Cheese, chips, meat, YUM. The problem is that this form of dip can sometimes lack the healthy component. Enter the Southwest Style. This little bag of deliciousness took my plain ole pile of meat and added grains, red peppers, beans and lentils to the mix. Hello wholesome. Welcome to my tasty world.
Don’t want meat in your dip? No worries! Just add a second bag of Southwest Style to the mix in place of the meat and voilà.
Vegetarian, protein-packed and ready for assembly. Toss a few additional toppings on, such as guacamole, sour cream and cheese and you’ve got yourself a bona-fide Super Bowl tasty treat. Just check out all the healthy goodness in that bite.
You know you want some. No really, you need this now. Off you go. Freezer aisle in the vegetable section. You can thank me later.
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil (I used Sunflower)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Onion, Diced
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey (can sub one extra protein blend for vegetarian version)
- 1 12.7 Oz. Package Birds Eye® Protein Blend Southwest Style
- 1 14.5 Oz. Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Chili Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 Cups Prepared Guacamole
- 11/2 Cups Sour Cream
- 11/4 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1-2 Green Onions, Chopped Fine
- ½ Cup Tomatoes, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Minced Cilantro
- Heat the cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic and onions and cook for a minute or two.
- Drop in the turkey and cook until no pink remains.
- Add in the frozen package of Birds Eye® Protein Blend Southwest Style.
- If you're making a vegetarian version, skip the meat and add a second package of the Southwest Style to your pan.
- In addition, add your can of tomatoes and your spices; the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes to incorporate the flavors and then remove from heat.
- Spread the mixture into a serving dish approximately 11x9 inches in size.
- Add the guacamole over the top followed by the sour cream.
- Top with cheese, tomatoes, onions and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with fresh tortilla chips.
“This post was sponsored by Birds Eye® through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Birds Eye®, all opinions, as always, are my own.”